Merlin’s exterminators are prepared to handle your centipede or millipede situation. While these two pests are commonly paired, they differ in many ways.
Merlin’s Centipede & Millipede Removal
Centipedes are common household pests in New Jersey:
- They belong to the family of arthropods and do not have 100 legs as many people believe
- Can have anywhere from 15 to 191 pairs of legs as each segment of their body contains one pair of legs
- Fast creatures and are commonly seen at night when they’re out foraging for food. Most species of centipedes are carnivorous and feed upon spiders, worms, and other small insects.
- Seek environments that are dark and moist, which is why they’re commonly spotted in the basements, garages or crawl spaces of homes
- Become problematic as soon as they enter the home as they can quickly breed and can lay anywhere from 10 to 50 eggs at a time. A population of centipedes will not damage the home, but will surely become a nuisance
Professional centipede pest control is recommended to ensure the infestation is completely removed, while do-it-yourself methods can be ineffective and dangerous should the centipede get away or bite.
Millipedes are brown, wormlike creatures that are often referred to as “1,000 leggers.” Worldwide, there are many species of millipedes but a typical millipede can be 1 to 2 inches in length and have two pairs of legs per body segment. Although millipedes have more legs than centipedes, they move much slower.
A millipede’s natural habitat is in mulch, which is why they’re often found burrowing into the mulch around the foundation of a home. Millipedes usually remain in mulch, feeding off of dead organic materials. However, if the mulch becomes flooded due to excessive rain, they will search for a new environment and can eventually make their way into your home. Unlike centipedes, millipedes do not breed once they’re inside the home, but simply take shelter to avoid predators. As with any pest, as the population grows, millipedes can become bothersome.
Centipede and Millipede Pest Control
Merlin’s exterminators are certified in both centipede and millipede pest control. We have created distinct methods of exterminating these pests from your home or business. When it comes to eliminating centipedes, we use special treatments inside the home to exterminate adult centipedes as well as their eggs before they hatch. For millipedes, we use an outdoor treatment that soaks into mulch targeting the infestation. Our products are specially formulated to effectively eradicate these pests, while being environmentally thoughtful. Give us a call and we will get rid of any centipedes or millipedes invading your property!